If you suffer from neck pain, you’re not alone. Neck pain is an extremely common ailment that Americans suffer from can be caused by a variety of reasons and results in numerous symptoms ranging from annoyance to debilitating. The cervical spine that runs from the top of the shoulders up to the base of the skull and contains the coordinated network of nerves, bones, joints and muscles.
From poor posture to auto accidents, your neck can only withstand and knowing when to seek medical help for the pain is what many people struggle with.
Causes of Neck Pain
Because the average adult head weighs roughly 11lbs, it does not take much to throw the structure of your neck into a spiral of pain and symptoms. There are several common causes of neck pain that most people will experience at some point in their life. Those causes include:
- Sleeping- you may have woken up in the morning at some point with a stiff or painful neck, often called a “kink”. This comes from sleeping for any extended period in awkward position for your neck.
- Sports- collisions, falls or even sudden, unnatural movements can commonly cause stingers, which is the impingement of a nerve in the cervical spine or shoulder. If you have ever had one of these, you probably remember the pain, numbness, tingling and weakness that radiated down to your hand.
- Posture- poor posture either at home or work is an extremely common cause of neck pain. Whether it is working at the computer or just watching TV, your head most likely tilted and leaning forward putting excessive stress on the muscles and joints in your neck.
- Whiplash- this cause of neck pain is generally associated with auto accidents. Whiplash occurs with the head and neck are suddenly forced forward and then immediately backward (or vice versa).
- Degenerative diseases- a form of arthritis where the spinal discs begin to lose fluid and breakdown. This can lead to painful arthritis, herniated disks or spinal stenosis.
Range of Symptoms
Neck issues can present a wide range of painful and debilitating symptoms like:
- Stiffness and loss of mobility
- Sharp or radiating pain
- Tingling, numbness or weakness
- Muscle Spasms
These are just a few of the most common symptoms associated with neck issues. What is important when you experience any of these symptoms is how you address and respond to them. While it is rare for neck pain to be early warning signs of more serious conditions or diseases, neck pain often has a relatively mild cause. The main aspects to keep in mind about when you should seek medical help regarding your neck pain are:
- Severe pain and/or spreads down arms or legs
- Not improving or worsening after a few days
- Impacting daily routine or work
- Accompanied by headaches, numbness, weakness or tingling
BackFit Health + Spine of Phoenix is committed to providing patients not only relief from their spinal issues but also an alternative to traditional medicine for a healthy life. By emphasizing a healthy lifestyle, BackFit helps individuals focus on reducing their risk of pain and illness. Chiropractic treatment for neck pain relief with BackFit may include: Gentle, precise spinal adjustments to correct any misalignments
- Medical relief from associated headaches or pain
- Massage therapy for improved circulation and reduced inflammation
- Physical therapy to improve strength, flexibility, and range of motion
Visit one of six locations throughout the Valley (Phoenix, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Queen Creek and Tempe) the next time you are suffering from any spinal pain that is impacting your quality of life. There is no need to live with back or neck pain, so let BackFit Health + Spine help!