Bad daily habits affect our natural neck curves, but there are a number of good daily habit to restore a straightened cervical spine.
How to get the natural curve back in your neck:
- Keep items out of the back pocket. This sounds small, but repetitively twisting and reaching back for items like a phone or wallet in the back pocket creates a chronic imbalance. Keep small possession in your front pockets or in a carrying parcel.
- Switch your purse occasionally. If you carry a heavy purse or bag on one shoulder every day, try rotating throughout the day or switching during the week. Over time, you will wear one side of the body down. Try wearing a backpack or cross-chest support for a more balanced support, instead.
- Keep your shoulders back at all times. Ears should always be lined up vertically with your shoulders.
- Visit your chiropractor for X-rays of your cervical spine, so you know when and where you are facing changes or problems. Come up with a plan for remedy together.
- Set your workspace up to be conducive to a straight neck spine. Position your monitor to be directly in front of you, three inches above eye level. Feet rest flat on the ground beneath you and shoulders are back. Take breaks every 45 minutes not only to circulate blood flow, but to reevaluate and resettle into your sitting posture.
- Avoid looking down at your screen. This includes your phone! It feels silly, but hold your phone out in front of you to read, or proper yourself against a chair or pillow to avoid looking down at the content.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach – this leaves no choice for the neck but to be twisted and lifting out of alignment. Repeatedly sleeping on your stomach causes changes in spinal curvatures.
Visit our incredible chiropractors at BackFit Health + Spine to learn more about your natural neck curve and how to preserve it.