A muscle spasm or muscle cramp is an involuntary contraction of a muscle. They often occur suddenly and can be very painful.
A muscle spasm is different from a muscle twitch. A spasm is usually an intense, sharp pain but can also appear as a hard lump in your muscle tissue.
When a muscle spasm occurs in your back, it can be debilitating, affecting your concentration and ability to sleep. You may also experience referring pain in your upper legs, low, middle, upper back, and neck, and into your head.
With muscle spasms, you may also see or feel:
- Skin Redness
You may also have trouble sitting or standing for any period of time, trouble bending down, and trouble standing up.
If you have a nerve or muscular condition, degenerative disc disease, or arthritis, these can also result in spasms and pain.
If the pain or spasms are especially in your neck, you may also experience headaches or more symptoms.
Muscle and back spasms are a growing epidemic. According to the ACA, back spasms will affect 80% of us within their lives. In fact, it’s the most common physical complaint that leads to job loss, lost time, and loss in the quality of life.
Whether you feel spasms in your neck, shoulders, low back, ribs, chest, or in your arms or legs, BackFit can help. In the short term, drink more water especially with added electrolytes and try ice on the area.
When you come see us, there are many treatments available for back spasms and neck pain:
- Physical Therapy: Our physical therapy team will design a custom program of exercises and stretches to improve your strength, flexibility, and range of motion.
- Medical Care: Our medical team can provide analgesic medication, as well as regenerative medicine such as Stem Cell Therapy and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP).
- Chiropractic Care: Our chiropractors provide gentle, precise, spinal adjustments to correct misalignments, which takes pressure off nerves and discs and can help prevent back pain.
- Massage Therapy: Our massage therapists provide endorphin-based relief, boost circulation, reduce inflammation, and relieve tight muscles.
- Pain Management: Our pain doctors work extensively with our entire team to provide advanced neck and back injections and procedures.
By evaluating each individual’s specific concern we are able to properly diagnose and treat your pain. At BackFit, our entire team of Medical Doctors, Physical Therapists, Chiropractors, and Massage Therapists have decades of experience. With all of these disciplines working together, we have proven success in treating back and muscle spasms.